Submitting an application
The Application assistance document provides a detailed description of how each question on the application should be completed. The Renewal assistance document provides general information about the renewal process.
Assistance with iRIS
Step-by-Step guides can be found at the iRIS Training Portal.
For technical assistance with the new system please contact the Help Desk either at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 404-413-HELP (4357). You can call the help desk if a Study Assistant Tab is not visible when you log-in to iRIS.
One-on-one training is available at the Exchange Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. To schedule an appointment, contact the Exchange at email@example.com.
- In order to have a person on your study they MUST have an iRIS account, if they are a student or employee at Georgia State University they just need to log into iRIS at least once, if they are external to GSU please fill out the Account Request Form.
- On the IRB application, you will see several sections with the word “required”. These sections must be completed in order for the system to allow your application to be properly submitted. If a section is not applicable, answer it as N/A. Do not leave it unanswered.
- Remember to upload all of your documents. These include consent form (s), dissertation, any advertisements, all survey instruments, interview instruments, etc., which you should create on your computer. If your research is funded, you will also need to upload your grant. (You do not need to upload all the documents in the table of Required Documents in IRBWise).
- The protocol must be routed from the student/study personnel (if applicable) to the PI (principal investigator). The PI will then route the study to the department head or chair. Once the department head or chair has endorsed the protocol, he/she can submit it to the IRB.
- You can always see the exact status of the application by opening the study and clicking on the ‘History’ tab.
- The PI must be a current Georgia State faculty member. For thesis or dissertation work, the student is listed as the student PI.
- Be sure the application and all documents are consistent.
- The application and all documents should be free of typos and grammar mistakes.
- If you are collaborating or working with individuals outside of GSU, please see the page Working with Individuals Outside of GSU for helpful information